Tuesday 4 March 2014

Visa application is in!

I had a rather interesting day today. I was up bright and early on a bus to London to visit the DRC Embassy to submit my application for a visa. In true embassy style it was a particularly painful experience which involved me having, at one point, some sort of oral exam on my ability to converse in French which definitely was NOT on the visa requirements list! Most people I met seemed surprised that I was there to apply for a visa. I'm not sure whether this was more to do with the fact that I am:
a) a woman
b) white
c) a skinny, feeble looking blonde thing.

At one point I asked them if they could provide me with a letter of authorisation to take medical supplies to Goma and all the woman said was "You're going to Goma? You? To Goma? Really? You go to Goma?" before she pulled a face that looked like half confusion and half total fear! I'm starting to wonder if maybe this was such a good idea after all...

At least the visa application is in. Now I just have to wait to see if it gets approved. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment